Contoh Soal Bahasa Inggris Ujian Saringan Masuk Program Ekstensi UI
Choose the one word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
1. Dorothy Parker, ____ at the early twentieth century, was known for her witty but cynical observation of life.
a. as she was a famous writer
b. was a famous writer
c. she was a famous writer
d. a famous writer
2. Research findings show that women appear ____ some kinds of pain more keenly than men do.
b. they feel
c. to feel
d. have feelings
3. Peter O’Toole, the great actor of Lawrence of Arabia, was a contemporary of Richard Burton, ____ he performed with in several Hollywood blockbusters.
d. to whom
4. ____ , the Buginese of the southwestern peninsula of Sulawesi were the greatest seafarers of the Indonesian archipelago.
a. Known as far as
b. As known as far
c. Knowing as far
d. As far as is known
5. In the Indonesian archipelago ____, forming a part of what is known as the Pasific ‘Ring of Fire.’
a. to be found a string of active volcanoes
b. is found a string of active volcanoes
c. finding a string of active volcanoes
d. a string of active volcanoes is found
Identify the one word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be grammatically correct.
6. The more ice cubes you put in your drink, less quickly it will melt, so the better it will chill your drink.
b. less quickly
7. In the 19th century, warehouses were using platforms that could be elevate to transport goods to a higher level, inspiring Elisha Otis to build the elevator we are using today.
a. were using
d. are using
8. Satellites, which are often the size of small truck, take years to build at a cost that may exceed $10 billions.
b. to bulid
9. The Nobel laureate Dr. Linius Pauling believes that regular intake of vitamin C is best way to protect us against colds.
c. to protect
10. Victims of burglary and violence may be traumatized by what they have experienced, and this can often to make them feel anxious and insecure.
c. to make
d. feel anxious